Steps To Maintain Air Conditioning Units in Your Home
Air conditioners require annual maintenance, cleaning air conditioner units are necessary to avoid future problems. The central air conditioners have 2 main parts – the evaporator and the condenser. The condenser is located outside the house, whereas the evaporator is placed in the main duct joint or the plenum above the furnace. Clean evaporator’s underside with a utility brush. Clean the tray below the evaporator.
Tips to keep your house Cool
Here are a few tips to maintain your air conditioning system and get your home in shape for the warm weather, save energy and money in the long run:
- Do not let the interiors of your home become too hot as the air conditioner will not be able to cool it down within a particular period of time. Air conditioners are created for around a change of 20° change in temperature. This is why air at 100° will only be cooled at 80°.
- Change the filter of your air conditioner at least 4 times a year to make sure that the family breathes clean air. It also ensures that your HVAC is not being overworked, thereby saving money and energy.
- Operate ceiling fans to make sure that you stay cooler in summer. The fans should work in the right way. In summer, they should be in the ‘forward’ mode indicating that the blades should rotate in a counter clockwise direction. A switch at the base lets you take control. If the fan is moved by setting it to the forward direction, you will receive a downward breeze to keep cool.
- Air conditioners often ice up. Additionally, the drain line can freeze, back up and leak. This may often be confused with a plumbing leak. If this happens, switch off the compressor instantly by changing the thermostat to the fan mode. With the melting of the ice, you would require professional assistance. Right from the dirty coils to the badly made ductwork, a number of aspects can limit the airflow. Professionals can check the same and address the core of the problem.
- The heat should be kept out of your home with the help of draperies, shades and blinds covering the sun-facing windows. Close the coverings on the east facing windows in the morning, and the west facing ones in the afternoon. Make sure these are white colored to ensure maximum light reflection. It also conserves energy.
- The unit cooler of the air conditioning system should be kept in shades of shrubs and trees which will also allow the air to flow through. This way, your system will be able to perform more efficiently by about 10%. Additionally, the landscaping should not be too close to the unit to make it convenient for the technician to do service.
- Service agreement should be renewed for the whole year maintenance, especially before the crushing heat of the summer sets in. This is when the AC does maximum work. Regular tuning reduces the risk of malfunctions so that you can stay cool while the rest of the world is sweating.
Do not allow the heat to accumulate in your room. Electronic devices, lighting systems and appliances are common ways of internal heat accumulation. In order to combat this extra heat, do not put televisions and lamps near your air conditioning thermostat. The appliances exude heat causing the system to operate longer than required and wasting energy in the process. After implementing these tips, your home will feel a lot more comfortable. If your home still feels warm, call your local provider for maintenance inspection.
The blog has been written to provide useful information about maintenance of air conditioning system. Still want to know more then let’s go to the details.